In 1913, Joseph A. Finnaren and Daniel J. Haley decided to venture into their own business. Dan Haley was manager of Gillingham Paint Store at 12th and Passyunk Ave. in South Philadelphia. Joe Finnaren was a traveling salesman for Union Oil. The original capital to start the business was $225.00 hard-earned dollars and the desire to make it a success.
At a time when paint was often sold in drug stores, Finnaren & Haley began to manufacture and market paint from their own store at 1212 North 60th Street in Philadelphia. Customers would bring their own containers, often empty tomato or soup cans and request a dime or quarter worth of paint. The paint would be mixed for each customer by combining white pigments, linseed oil, a drying agent, and, if a colored paint was desired, they would add a natural pigment, such as treated iron, or charred horse bones.
Just three years later, in 1916, Finnaren & Haley had to move their operation to larger quarters. The new location at 60th and Thompson Streets in West Philadelphia, would become the corporate headquarters of Finnaren & Haley, “the paint and glass people” for the next fifty-five years.
By 1917, there were four Finnaren & Haley stores in Philadelphia. By 1920 Finnaren & Haley was incorporated. The depression was difficult for all small businesses and hit Finnaren & Haley, Inc. with intensity. The four stores, opened in 1917, remained the only Finnaren & Haley paint stores until after World War II.
Finnaren & Haley paint stores multiplied during the ’60s and ’70s, the high standards demanded of both the company’s product and its employees never wavered. The company’s volume continued to expand requiring the manufacturing plant to be relocated to larger facilities in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania in 1965.
By the early part of the 1970s, both Joseph, Jr. and Charles Finnaren had died, and the Haley family purchased all interest in the Finnaren & Haley firm. Through the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s Finnaren & Haley experienced continued growth and expansion throughout the Greater Delaware Valley market.
Today, Haley Paint remains family owned and operated. Finnaren & Haley changed its name to Haley Paint in June 2007. The quality and service of Haley Paints family of employees and products has allowed us to look forward to celebrating our 100th anniversary in 2013.